During the month of October, Anchorage Dentist, Dr. Maloney and the entire team at Fireweed Family Dentistry are trying to increase breast cancer awareness.
Why, you ask? Just take a look at some of these hard-hitting facts:
• Every 2 minutes, a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer in the U.S. (Edith Sanford)
• In 2014, about 410 men will die from breast cancer. (Susan G. Komen)
• Over 250,000 women under 40 in the U.S. live with a breast cancer diagnosis while 13,000 more young women will be diagnosed this year. (Young Survival)
The Oral Health Connection
Did you know? According to the American Dental Hygienist Association, 75% of American adults suffer from various forms of gum disease.
This is important because men and women who have gum disease, missing teeth, and overall poor oral hygiene are 11X more likely to be diagnosed with breast cancer (Breast Cancer Research & Treatment Journal).
The good news is—that’s a huge risk that can easily be avoided. All you have to do is make an appointment with Dr. Maloney to ensure your oral health is on the right track.
Ways to Give
While most people are aware of breast cancer, many do not take action—so now is your chance.
Here are some ideas to help:
- Donate $100 to the National Breast Cancer Foundation (NBCF) to help provide a mammogram for a woman in need.
- Start a ticketed event (e.g., benefit concert, art show, or breast cancer awareness walk).
- Create a fundraising page (e.g., bake sales, selling arts and crafts, or asking for donations instead of birthday or wedding gifts).
- Become a volunteer for NBCF.
This month, encourage others to do the same. Although we’ve come a long way in raising awareness, we’re still a long way to go to finally end breast cancer.
To learn more about Breast Cancer visit any of these websites: